The Illinois Municipal Utilities Association is a not-for-profit corporation functioning as a trade association for municipalities that own and operate their own electric, natural gas, water, wastewater and telecommunications systems in Illinois. It is composed of municipal, associate and affiliate members.
IMUA is governed by a board of directors drawn from up to 17 member municipalities. The board makes all decisions relating to policies undertaken by the Association. A President and CEO administers day-to-day operations. The IMUA is financed through dues collected from its members, those dues being proportional to utility sales, and from fees associated with its training activities.
IMUA Mission Statement:
The mission of the Illinois Municipal Utilities Association (IMUA) is to advance the interests of the state’s municipally-owned electric, natural gas, water, wastewater treatment and telecommunications utilities and to provide them with the information, training and professional representation they need to operate their systems in a manner that is safe, efficient, reliable and promotes the maximum benefit to their customers.
The Association provides hand-on training and classroom seminars to help the men and women who work in the field for municipal utilities to work safely.
The IMUA holds monthly safety program meetings in all areas of the state and Missouri.
In the event of natural disasters, IMUA coordinates assistance in the form of heavy equipment and personnel from the municipal utilities all over the state to the affected member.
Legislative and regulatory oversight:
The Association tracks legislation and regulations that affect the members, provides regular alerts, and intervenes through timely lobbying efforts.
The Association produces a quarterly newsletter and other communication materials, highlighting issues and events important to all municipal utility officials.
The Association holds a large conference focusing on policy and hands-on training each spring.
The Value of IMUA Membership:
Through the Illinois Municipal Utilities Association, both full member systems and IMUA's affiliate members have access to:
- A top flight training program from IMUA full-time staff and contractual experts,
- Access to the best in products and services from a wide range of associate members,
- A comprehensive legislative and regulatory program filled with information and hands-on representation,
- A broad array of support programs and services from two national trade associations, the American Public Power Association (APPA) and the American Public Gas Association (APGA),
- And ongoing communications and information-related resources, including a quarterly newsletter, annual membership directory, bi-weekly updates and various association-wide communications products.
In addition, IMUA's Associate Members have access to the decision-makers within the Full Member and Affiliate Member systems and a variety of forums for the display and demonstration of their goods and services.
All this is offered in a cost conscious, service-oriented package that makes IMUA a great investment for all involved.
For membership information please contact Ed Cobau (email@example.com
) at IMUA.